Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant opened in 1950, and is now in its fifth decade and second generation.
Since the passing of its founder, Lorenzo Grosso in July of 2013, his daughter Angela Maffeo has taken over.
Lorenzo's was originally located at 10 High Street in Taunton, Massachusetts, where the Taunton Mall is located today. This is where Lorenzo and his wife, Geraldine humbly began as they performed the duties of "Chief Cook and Bottlewasher", and where pizza was baked in a dutch oven that was rotated by hand.
In 1959, this original restaurant was forced to close due to the impending Urban Renewal Project. This impending closure opened the doors for Lorenzo's Italian Drive-In at its present location on Route 28 in Middleborough in 1956. A landmark today, the original building was enlarged five times before a new one was constructed in 1964. In 1972, a dining room was added to offer inside dining, along with the famous patio and carhop service.
Two dining rooms, a lounge and a Gala Room were completed in 1981 and have hosted hundreds of corporate and family banquets with seating capacity for 100 guests. Lorenzo's Cafe and Grille is the latest addition which opened during the summer of 1994. The enclosed patio, operating from May to September, quickly became popular for outdoor dining, family reunions and company outings. A BBQ menu is offered as well as the full dining menu.