Organized in 1949 by numerous charter members representing East Middleborough farm families, the historic Thompsonville School became the home of the East Middleborough 4-H Community Committee. According to the Recollecting Nemasket blog, it is believed that the Thompsonville School on Thompson Street was built around 1854 (or earlier). The "little red schoolhouse" remains Middleborough's best preserved one-room schoolhouse.
The Benson Family has generously donated the use of the school house and grounds to the 4-H program since its inception. In its 64th year of operation, the East Middleborough 4-H program has offered project work for children ages 8 -18 in the areas of livestock, home economics, drama, foods, small animals and wood carving.
The culmination of 4-H project work is premiered at the East Middleborough 4-H Fair held annually on the Saturday and Sunday of Labor Day weekend. A fine example of an old-fashioned country fair, the event offers exhibits of livestock, home economics, 4-H window exhibits, poultry, rabbits and show dogs. The 4-H country kitchen, food concession stands, 4-H country store and traditional 4-H fair auction provide something for all to enjoy. Parking and admission to the fair are free and all proceeds benefit the East Middleborough 4-H program.
Photo courtesy of Christopher Soule.