The Friends of Middleborough Cemeteries is a 501 (c) (3) charitable organization. The group’s members, volunteers and donors are people who live here, who have family here, who have ancestors interred here or just people who like to act on their respect for cemeteries.
Some of our historic cemeteries include:
Cemetery at The Green (Plympton Street/Route 105): Thomas Weston, in his book History of the Town of Middleboro, Massachusetts wrote: “…Many prominent in the history of the town are here buried; among them Peter Thacher, Jacob Tomson, and Isaac Howland. Adjoining this cemetery upon the northerly side are the tombs of Zachariah Eddy, Esq., and Thomas Weston, and on the easterly side is the family tomb of Rev. Peter Thacher.”
Nemasket Hill Cemetery (515 Plymouth Street): This cemetery was the first non-Native American burial ground within Middleborough and sits amidst rolling hills along the banks of the Nemasket River. It is one of the oldest cemeteries in the country with burials dating back to the 1600s. While most of the early settlers are buried here only John Tomson and Samuel Fuller's grave locations are known. The oldest stone is that of Elizabeth Vaughan, who died June 24, 1693 at age 62. The most recent native burials here came in 1990, with the deaths of Chief Red Blanket and his wife, Princess Star Light of the Wampanoag Ponkapoc Nation.
South Middleborough Cemetery (Wareham Street): According to Thomas Weston: "The cemetery at South Middleboro near the Methodist Church was given by Consider Benson and others in 1768, and since that time has been twice enlarged by the purchase of adjoining land. The oldest burial is that of Joseph Harris, who died November 21, 1771, aged fifty-nine years and six months.”
Photo courtesy of Friends of Middleborough Cemeteries, Inc.