The Middleborough Historical Association (MHA) founded in 1922, is a private, non-profit organization that preserves the history of the Middleborough, MA area.
MHA saved two historic properties from demolition in the 1960s. The rescued 1820 mill houses and grounds became the Middleborough Historical Museum.
MHA has since grown into a valuable community resource with seven museum buildings, an impressive collection of Middleborough-related objects, an annual calendar of educational programs and a growing group of members and volunteers.
Anyone may join the Association. Our members come from all walks of life, but have one thing in common; they value local history. Members form the active volunteer workforce that guides, supports and operates the Museum.
The Middleborough Historical Museum is located in the Middleborough Center National ReHistoric District. The seven building village includes two ca. 1820 mill houses. Three other structures were saved from demolition and relocated to the grounds; the West Side Whistle House, the Judge Wilkes Wood Law Office and the Sproat Tavern Outhouse. A blacksmith shop and a carriage house were later built to house museum exhibits.
The Museum contains a diverse collection rich in Middleborough connections including an operating Maxim fire truck, agricultural tools, household furnishings, military artifacts, photographs, manuscripts and a nationally known collection of “Tom Thumb” memorabilia. The museum is open for tours and special events from late spring through early fall.
Museum is open every Wednesday 1:00pm – 4:00pm and Saturday 1:00pm – 4:00pm
starting May 28th, 2016. Our last day open to the public for 2016 will be on October 29th.
The museum can also be opened by appointment.
Admission is free to members
Children under age six – Free
Group rate for ten or more is half price.